About Us FAQs


1). I am a resident of the south of Italy. Can I apply for Consular Services at the Consulate General of India, Milan?
No, south of Italy falls under the jurisdiction of the Embassy of India, Rome and you need to apply at the Embassy of India in Rome. The Consulate has consular jurisdiction over the following regions of Italy: Lombardy, Piedmont, Aosta Valley, Trentino-Alto Adige, Friuli Venezia Giulia, Veneto, Liguria, and Emilia-Romagna. Indian Nationals living in these areas can apply for Consular Services at the Consulate.

2). How can I apply for Consular Service at Consulate?

Applications can be submitted at the Consulate with prior appointment only. Please visit https://www.cgimilan.gov.in/appointment_home/ for appointments.
All applicants are further requested to please bring the following:-
a) Duly filled in application forms along with copies of all necessary supporting documents;
b) Online Payment receipt made at least 3 (three) working days in advance, prior to the date of appointment and
c) Copy of valid Green Pass.
Considering Covid protocol and restrictions, please note that entry to the Consulate will be strictly restricted to Green Pass holders only.
3). Is an appointment necessary for any Consular Service?
Yes, an appointment is necessary for any Consular Service, except in the case of Life Certificate,  Death Certificate, and Emergency Certificate. These services can be availed of from 0930 hours to 1230 hours only.

4). Available slots are booked/not available, how can I book an appointment?

Appointments are scheduled for the next 10 days. 100 slots are released at 1930 hours local time on a first come first serve basis for the 11th day. 

5). How can I submit fees for applications?
Please visit https://www.cgimilan.gov.in/page/bank-details/ for detailed information. 

6). How can I collect my ready Passport/OCI Card from the Consulate?
Ready Passport/OCI Card can be collected only through Courier. Click here for detailed information.

7). When can I apply for a reissue of my Passport?
Passport can be applied for reissue within one year of expiry or for change in any personal particulars. 

8). Why have I received an email for Police verification after submission of the Passport/PCC application.
Police Verification is an internal and mandatory part of the Passport/PCC application.

9). I do not have a surname separately written on my passport, my name and surname are written in the same line on my passport. How can I get it split? What documents are required to be submitted?
You would have to apply for a re-issue of passport for change in personal particulars with your name and surname as separate. Please visit our website at https://www.cgimilan.gov.in/page/passport-applications-with-appointment/ for detailed information on the required documents.

10). Validity of my passport has expired for more than three years and I have applied for reissue already. When can I expect my passport?
Since the validity of your passport expired more than three years ago, the matter requires to be referred to the competent authorities in India. Passports can be issued only after prior approval.

11). The validity of my Permesso di Soggiorno expired a few months back and the validity of my passport is also expired. Can I apply for a new passport with the expired Permesso di Soggiorno?
Yes, you can apply for a new passport. However, you will have to submit clear copies of the expired Permesso di Soggiorno and documentary evidence that you have applied for renewal of the same along with other documents as specified on our website.

12). My date and place of birth are incorrect in my passport. How can I get it corrected?
You must have got the passport based on the birth certificate submitted at the time of submission of application for a passport in India. You have to get the present birth certificate canceled and get a new birth certificate with the correct date and place of birth. The birth certificate so issued should be attested/apostilled from the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi or from the authorities, which are authorized by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India to apostil. Thereafter, you can apply for a new passport with the correct date and place of birth.

13). My present passport has my father’s name as my surname. I got married recently and would like to replace it with the name of my husband. How can I get it done?
You will have to submit an Affidavit (which is available in the Consulate) for change of surname consequent on marriage. Thereafter, you can apply for a new passport for a change in surname.

14). I got Italian citizenship, but it will take some time for getting an Italian Passport. Can I use the Indian passport till I get the Italian Passport?
You can use the Indian Passport for a maximum period of three months only.

15). I was born in India, but do not have a birth certificate. Can the Consulate issue me with a birth certificate?
Since you were born in India, you have to get a birth certificate from India only. However, the Consulate can issue an Identity Certificate stating your date and place of birth as per your passport, which is not a birth certificate.

16). I came to study in Italy and the University is asking for attestation of my educational certificate issued from India. Can I get it attested from the Consulate?
If the certificates are attested from the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi, the same could be attested from the Consulate.

17). How do I know if my Passport is ready or not?
You can check the status of your application from our site : http://www.cgimilan.gov.in/cgi.php?id=appstatus

18). What are the specifications of photographs for Passport?
The photograph should be in colour and of the size of 2 inch x 2 inch. The photograph prints hould be clear and with a continuous tone  It should have full face, frontal view and, eyes open. The head should be in the centre of the frame. The background should be a plain white or off-white. The cloth should not be in the same colour of the background. There should not be any distracting shadows on the face or on the background. Background behind the face should be properly illuminated to avoid shadows in the background. Head covering are not permitted except for religious reasons, but the facial features from bottom of chin to top of forehead and both edges of the face must be clearly shown. The expression on the face should look natural. The light should be even and balanced to avoid shadows on the face. High-resolution photography and printing are strongly recommended. Both conventional and digital photography are acceptable, and conventional or digital printing methods may be used. Resulting print should exhibit a continuous-tone quality regardless of the print method used. Digitally printed photos should be produced without visible pixels or dot patterns. Fine facial features should be discernible. Brightness and contrast should be adjusted to present the subject and background accurately. Head should face the camera directly and should not tilt or turned. The eyes must be open, level and clearly visible and must not be covered by hairs or eyeglass frames. Glare on eyeglasses should be avoided with a slight upward or downward tilt of the head. No tinted or dark glasses are allowed. The photos should not be too dark or too light. As regards the photograph of the new born children, requirements can be somewhat relaxed. However, a frontal photograph with clarity is required. It should show the child alone and no chair backs, toys or other people visible, looking at the camera with a neutral expression and the mouth closed. For more specifications and information, please visit : https://www.cgimilan.gov.in/docs/PhotoSpecs.pdf

19). Is it necessary to be physically present for consular services?
Yes, it is absolutely necessary to be present physically.

20). How can I apply for Police Clearance Certificate?
Click here for detailed information. Please note that PCC for all categories will be issued only after verification. Applicants are requested to apply well ahead of time as verification usually takes time.